Vehicle Registration

The exact process for registering your kit car seems to vary depending upon which local Vehicle Registration Office (VRO) you go to. However, the general process is the same.

Firstly, you have to decide how you want to register the car. There are three options which may be available.

Built using all new components (current registration)

To qualify for a current registration, the vehicle must have been built using all new components, with one exception, the engine. If the vehicle was built with a used engine, a "certificate of newness" should be supplied stating that the engine has been rebuilt to "as new" condition. Receipts for all major components must be provided at the time of registration.

Built using parts of an already registered vehicle (age related registration)

To qualify for an age related registration, the vehicle must have been built using a combination of new components and components from a single donor vehicle. The major components (engine, chassis, axles etc.) used from the donor vehicle are given a points value which must add up to at least 8 in order to get an age related registration. If it doesn't, then you will be allocated with a Q registration.

When building a Tiger Cat, it is possible to get an age related registration without much difficulty providing the forms are filled in correctly. It is also possible to get an age related registration by using an engine from a vehicle other than your donor. There are two ways of doing this.

You can either declare on the V627/1 "Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report" form the real origin of the engine and, providing the other parts provide enough points, you will be assigned an age related registration.

Alternatively, you can register the replacement engine on the donor vehicles V5 certificate. When the V5 is produced as the receipt for the donor vehicle at the time of registration, the donor had the engine that is now in your car. There are arguments as to whether this is strictly legal or not as, whilst technically possible, it is very unlikely that your engine would ever have been in the donor vehicle.

Built using parts of several already registered vehicles ('Q' registration)

If your built vehicle doesn't fit into either of the above categories, it will be assigned a 'Q' registration.

In the past, this was been snubbed as being a 'bad thing' and was taken to indicate some sort of inferior quality. This clearly isn't the case as there are many excellent vehicles that have a 'Q' registration.

All the 'Q' registration means is a vehicle of indeterminate age. For example, if the rear axle was from a vehicle registered in 1989 and the front hubs from a vehicle registered in 1985, it isn't possible to put a single date for the manufacture of the resultant vehicle as either is incorrect.

What is the process?

This is where the exact operation of your local VRO varies. The best way to find out their process is to visit them in person and talk to them. Ask them exactly what they need to do and what you need to do.

Essentially there are three parts to the registration process - an inspection of the vehicle, the Single Vehicle Approval test and the registration paperwork.

The inspection

This is the general part that varies between VRO offices. Some don't want to inspect the vehicle, assuming that if it has been presented at an SVA test, it must exist and the V.I.N. number is valid. Others will inspect the vehicle during build when the major components (engine, axles etc.) have been fitted and others insist on inspecting the vehicle after it has passed the SVA test.

The Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) Test

This is a comprehensive test of the vehicles design and construction to ensure it is safe for the occupants and other road users and that it conforms to current vehicle "Construction and Use" regulations. The test is performed at an approved testing station. When the vehicle passes the test, you will be issued with a Ministers Approval Certificate (MAC).

The Paperwork

Again, this process seems to vary between VRO offices. Some require you to have an MOT certificate, others don't. Since most MOT testing stations charge around £15.00 to £25.00 for the test, it may be worthwhile to get put the car through an MOT prior to registering it, thus saving needless hassle.

As well as the MOT certificate, you will also need two official forms:

  • V55/5 "Application for a first licence"
  • V627/1 "Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report"

The V55/5 can only be obtained from local VRO offices.

The V627/1 can also be obtained from local VRO offices, or downloaded from here.

Below are sample completed V55/5 and V627/1 forms.

When the V55/5 and V627/1 paperwork is completed, take them to your local VRO office, along with the Ministers Approval Certificate (MAC), MOT certificate, valid insurance cover note, any receipts and certificates of newness, donor V5 registration document (if appropriate) and V750 retention certificate (if appropriate).

You will have to pay for two things - the registration, which is currently £25.00, and then the Road Fund Licence (TAX) for either six or twelve months.

The process at the VRO should take around 30 minutes, at the end of which, you should leave a bit lighter in the pocket with a valid tax disc and a huge grin as you can now get some number plates and legally drive the car on the road.

Sample V55/5 Form

Sample V55/5 Form

Notes for above V55/5 form:

  • 1. Registration Mark: If you have an already purchased registration number on a V750 retention certificate, enter the number here, otherwise leave this box blank.
  • 3. Period of Licence applied for: 6 or 12 months.
  • 9. Colours: Primary colour(s) of the car, e.g. Red, Yellow, Blue etc.
  • 10. Type Approval Number/ Category: Ministers Approval Certificate (MAC) serial number.
  • Is the vehicle left or right hand drive: Tick appropriate box.
  • 23. V.I.N./Chassis/Frame No.: V.I.N. from Tiger Chassis Plate.
  • 24. Engine Number: Identification number from your engine.
  • 25. Cylinder Capacity: Capacity of your engine in cc (2.0 Zetec is 1988, 2.0 Pinto is 1998)
  • Date of first registration abroad: Date of the donors registration, e.g. 03/12/89
  • 33. Name and Address of Vehicle Keeper: Your details.

Sample V627/1 Form

Sample V627/1 Form

Notes for above V627/1 form:

  • Engine No.: If your donor V5 isn't registered with the engine number and you have a receipt or "Certificate of Newness" for the engine, put "Yes" in the receipts column, otherwise put "No".
  • A. Original Parts Not Used: Put what you did with unused donor parts, e.g. "Had salvage yard take empty shell away".

V5 Registration Document

V5 Registration Document

Back to Top of page © Copyright 2000-2019 Paul Toyne Back